Founded in the year 1868 by Thomas Furber, Esq., whose premises and stables were in Alston Street and Blythe Street, Ladywood, Birmingham then moving to Harborne in 1931, when the previous premises were demolished, this is where we now have our Chapels of Rest, garage, head office, mortuary and workshop.
In 1994 a small branch office was opened in Monument Road, Ladywood not far from where the company originally started, but was closed in 2009.
On the death of the Founder's son, his daughter, Sarah Annie Morse Leonard (known as Nancy) carried on the business and later, her son, Thomas Leonard Furber joined her and her husband. When Mrs Leonard's husband died, Thomas Leonard Furber carried on with his mother and became Managing Director.
In 1977 Thomas Leonard Furber married Audrey M. Law and she joined them in the business, becoming Director and Secretary. On the death of his Mother, Tom as he was lovingly known and his wife, Audrey continued to operate and on the death of Tom in December 1990, Audrey became the sole owner (Chairman & Managing Director) as indeed she is today.
At Thos. Furber & Co. Ltd., we will continue to provide a personal, professional and sympathetic service to you, our clients for many years to come.